Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Contests and Confidence

I've put the first 250 words of my current ms in the Secret Agent contest over at Miss Snark's First Victim's Blog. If you are an aspiring author, this is a blog you really have to read!

It takes a lot for me to put my writing out there for other people, and I'm wondering how common that is for writers. As I read authors' blogs, tweets and websites, I'm struck by the amount of self-confidence I see. Is that the norm? Is it part of the person or the persona?

I wonder how easy it was for published writers to put their work on display before they got published. It's become easier for me, mostly thanks to some wonderful critique partners who mix in just the right amount of support, advice and humour with their comments.

Do you find it easy or difficult to put your writing "out there"? What gave you that first boost to let someone else read your work?

No comments: