Wednesday, June 15, 2022

WEP & Schrodinger's Letter

Like Schrodinger’s cat, the envelope rested on Ty’s kitchen island. Propped against the pepper mill.

It had been the first thing he’d spotted after the worst shift in his time as store manager.


Five shoplifters today. One had stormed out with an entire cart of groceries. She’d shoved it out the doors like she was a race car circuit. But it had been a hard right turn into the parking lot and she’d dumped the entire cart in the roadway. Then she’d run off calling him names he’d never heard before.


Two more tried to walk away with chocolate bars. Grown adults risking a charge over a hunk of chocolate.


One had played the, “Oh, I forgot I didn’t pay. I didn’t realize I almost broke the turnstile by going out the in,” routine. But he’d paid, so they hadn’t charged him.


The fifth had been a woman who shoved a frozen turkey under her sweater and into the top of her pants, pretending to be pregnant.


A frozen turkey.


And she hadn’t been smart enough to not have the tag sticking out the front of her sweater.


Then the debit machines had shut down bringing out tears and the angry idiots of the world.


A pallet of soda had been tipped over. And, no, the store wasn't going to pay the dry cleaning bill for the dingbat who'd tried bodysurfing through the orange goo.


All in all, a hell of a shift.


And now a letter bearing his name in Sadie’s handwriting on his island.


He couldn’t move past it. Couldn’t go forward or back. He was stuck in limbo exactly like Schrodinger’s cat.


If he didn’t open the letter, it could be both good and bad news at the same time. Once he opened it, he’d know.


Who wrote letters anymore?


Sadie had never written him a letter before.


Things were going well. Really well. He’d been thinking about shopping for a ring.


What was in the letter?


He finally unglued his feet and picked up the envelope. Not a business envelope, not a Christmas-card-sized one either. Smaller.


Stomach churning, Ty turned the white envelope over but there were no clues on the other side.


Closing his eyes, he blew out a deep breath and imagined a box. He opened the flaps of the imaginary box and a healthy cat popped out to grin at him.


His big hands fumbled with the flap of the envelope, but he didn’t want to tear the paper. Once it was open, he peeked inside to see a folded piece of paper.


No writing on the outside. He was still in the box.


Ty slid out the paper and blew out another breath.


He unfolded the paper.


A cartoon filled it. On the left, Sadie had drawn Ty conked out on a recliner with ZZZZZ printed above his head.


On the right, she’d drawn herself carrying a pizza box and a six-pack.


Heard about the shift. Take a snooze. I’ll see you in an hour. Love Sadie.


Love Sadie.


Schrodinger’s cat was alive and well.


Carrying the letter, Ty headed to the recliner and pulled out his phone. The weariness of the shift was gone. Time to find the perfect ring.

***

Tagline: A letter propped on a pepper mill and an empty house. Good or bad?


The above is part of the WEP Challenge for June: Please Read The Letter.

This is another song I didn't know before the challenge. I listened to it a few times, but I just wasn't in the mood for a heartbreak story, so I focused on the title itself rather than the song.

Please check the links below to find more flash prompted by the song or the title!



39 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jemi - this was delightful ... very clever - and I love the use of Shrodinger and his cat ... brilliant - soft and fun to read ... cheers Hilary

Elephant's Child said...

Big, big smiles. Thank you.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Hilary - I needed something happy :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Sue - I needed happy too :)

cleemckenzie said...

Fun to read, Jemi! Great entry.

Damyanti Biswas said...

This was such a stimulating read! :) Thank you!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Lee :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks - It was fun to write something light!

Nilanjana Bose said...

This is just such a fun take on the prompt! Really liked the shoplifters' descriptions too. Thanks for the smiles, Jemi.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Nila! I needed a break from the heavy!

Lenny Lee said...

Hi Miss Jemi,
Wow, what a cool story. Love the description of a bad day at the office. The frozen turkey lady made me laugh out loud. Ha ha. You kept me on the edge of my seat wondering if the letter would be good or bad news, especially since Sadie had never writer a letter to Ty before. What a relief to find good news. For sure beer and pizza is a happy thought. And, of course, the ring makes for a happy ending. Thanks for a fun story.

Denise Covey said...

Hi Jemi. I loved this happy little tale which answers the prompt and sort of counters my sad story. Glad after such a day at the store, he has such a lovely lady in his life who understands. Bring on the ring. Maybe to the tune of 'Moonlight Sonata'??

Jemi Fraser said...

That's a great idea! I've never done connected flash - we'll see where my brain takes me!

A Hundred Quills said...

Hi Jemi. This was so clever. I loved the atmosphere you created, the turkey theft and other things and the simplicity of the story. Splendid.
-Sonia

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Sonia. It was time for something fun :)

L.G. Keltner said...

I love your use of Schrodinger's cat here. It really conveys the sense of uncertainty. I'm glad that the cat is alive and well, so to speak. It was the nice sort of gesture Ty needed after such a bad day at work.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Laura - I'm glad the cat is well too!

N. R. Williams said...

I love this post. I was sure it was bad news, but you turned the tables on me. Well done.
Nancy

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Nancy - I need some fun :)

Michelle Wallace said...

Phew! "Schrodinger’s cat was alive and well." Such a relief! You had me worried...
I have to admit that I wasn't sure that the letter would be positive.
Absolutely fun!

Arti said...

This was such a romantic read and you kept me on my toes with the 'will she/won't she?' This piece ran like a short film for me--perfect details to create the reality of Ty's shift.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Michelle! I was glad to find the cat alive as well :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Arti! I wouldn't want a shift like that one!

Debbie D. said...

I could have sworn I left a comment earlier. Oh well, try again...

I was expecting the worst, but was thrilled to see this had a happy ending. Left a big smile on my face. ☺

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Lenny! There's been a lot of tough stuff in the real world, and I need something uplifting!

Jemi Fraser said...

I wasn't sure which way it was going to go either for a while! I always prefer the happy endings though :)

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

I'm glad the protagonist gets a happy ending to his story. I honestly feel like this when publishing comments, which is why sometimes it takes me a long time to get around to it.

Jemi Fraser said...

I hear ya - that Schrodinger's cat scenario applies in so many situations!

Yolanda Renée said...

Well done, and so true, the Schrodinger's cat scenario visits too often in life. And I too, prefer the happier ending. I have to start writing more of those.

Jemi Fraser said...

I do love my HEAs!

JeffO said...

Nicely done, Jemi!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

What a nice way to end a rotten day at the store! Working with the public can be a nightmare.

Jemi Fraser said...

It sure can! I'm so glad I never had to work retail!!

J Lenni Dorner said...

Ah, Schrodinger... well-known for his science, but his immorality usually overlooked or forgotten. (Abused wife, collection of mistresses, probable child molestation...)
But anyway. Glad this letter had a happy ending.
I could go for a beer and pizza right about now too...
🍕🍺
I wrote a humorous piece for the June WEP prompt (it isn't adult, though some may mistake it as such at first, depending on your hobbies).
And I'm contemplating my favorite book worlds for the IWSG July prompt (I'm co-hosting). Any thoughts?
Over at Operation Awesome, we're gearing up for our Pass or Pages query contest with July's family saga genre. Know any writers who might want to enter?

Jamie said...

What a swell ending to a craptastic day. 💍 Hope it goes well!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks Jamie - I figured we could all use some good news!

Jemi Fraser said...

Yikes! I didn't know any of that about Schrodinger! Sounds like a completely horrid man.
I enjoyed your WEP entry - lots of fun. I'll spread the word about the OA query contest!

DMS said...

Love this! A great ending to a really crummy day! Glad he opened it and could take that nap! :) ~Jess

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Jess! It's always fun to have a happy ending!