Wednesday, October 5, 2022

IWSG, Romance, and Hope

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. He, his clones, minions, friends, and fellow authors make it an amazing event every month.


IWSG badge

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!  

October's Question: What do you consider the best characteristics of your favorite genre?

My favourite genre for both writing and reading is romance, specifically romantic suspense on the lighter side of the genre.

I love this genre because it's all about hope.

  • Hope that you can become a better person
  • Hope that you can find someone to spend your life with
  • Hope that you can solve the problem
  • Hope that you can make the world a better place
  • Hope that good will always win
  • Hope that hard work pays off
  • Hope that love makes everything better
  • Hope that happy endings can be real

Of course, Hope isn't specific to romance.

I also read a lot of Mystery, Fantasy, & SciFi where Hope is often a major theme - at least in the books I love!

How about you? Do you like books that have Hope as a central theme? What's the central theme of the genre you like best?

22 comments:

M.J. Fifield said...

The world can always use more hope, it seems. Especially these days. <3

A Hundred Quills said...

Romance will never get out of fashion. Ideally, it never should.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Romantic suspense sounds super. Romance always works.

Elephant's Child said...

Hope is a fragile essential isn't it?

Jemi Fraser said...

MJ - totally agree!

Sonia - I hope it's always in fashion!

Rachna - I agree :)

Sue - it certainly is!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

They're always optimistic stories, aren't they? And the world can use some optimism!

Carol Kilgore said...

Hope and love are parts of life that everyone can relate to. Mixed with a little mystery and suspense only makes it better!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We need it - without hope, all is lost.

Sarah Foster said...

Hope is a great thing to include in a story. Sometimes you just need that sort of uplifting read.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

No. I can't tell that you're a diehard romance. Not one bit... ;P

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'm not surprised that you picked romance. And yes, I love books with hope and good endings.

Jemi Fraser said...

Elizabeth - that's exactly it! We always hope for better :)

Carol - I agree - my favourite kind!

Diane - exactly - we need that hope!

Sarah - and the older I get, the more I need. that kind of read!

Elizabeth - LOL - I hide it well!

Natalie - I'm an open book (pun totally intended)!

Tyrean Martinson said...

I love the theme of hope and while I don't write romantic suspense, I love your books. You always include hope-filled characters who have some cool jobs and interesting backstories. BTW - this is Tyrean, commenting from my phone which won't let me sign in properly.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Even though I can't write good romance, I'm always happy to meet writers who "love" to write love stories. Whomever said above that Romance will never be out of style is completely correct.

Teresa

emaginette said...

Hope is a wonderful place to live. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Damyanti Biswas said...

Hope is where I live nowadays, especially given my tumultuous timeline with writing and personal life.

Jemi Fraser said...

Tyrean - thanks so much!! Your words mean a lot!

Teresa - I agree - there will always be room for romance!

Anna - it really is!

Damyanti - I hope that hope brings you to an easier place soon - hugs!

Mary Aalgaard said...

Great reasons to love romance. I like that idea of it offering hope. I like books that mix genres, like mystery/history/romance. Even Sci-fi-fantasy can do that.

Toi Thomas said...

I think hope is a good theme that can be applied to any genre but I do think it thrives in genres like romance, fantasy, and science fiction.

Jemi Fraser said...

Mary - I agree - love anything filled with hope!

Toi - it does - which probably explains why I love those genres :)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

That's exactly why I love your books!! I love that positivity and hope.

Deniz Bevan said...

Oh, that's a great list! You're right, hope isn't particular to romance, but all the items on your list are parts of why I love romance so much!