Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Sleep well, Lizzie

My first published book was Dancing With Dementia: Recognizing and Coping with the Early Stages of Dementia.

The star of the book is Lizzie. I used an alternate name for Mom to protect her privacy but the stories in the book are all real.

Lizzie was a firecracker - from her early days growing up in Scotland throughout WWII to her time in a local nursing home where she was often the highlight of the day for many people.

Dementia is a cruel and nasty disease. The last few weeks have been difficult for Lizzie as she mostly lost contact with the world around her. She was put into palliative care and fell into a peaceful sleep. She passed away Monday morning without experiencing any pain.

Lizzie was known for her sense of humour, her adventurous spirit, her oh-so-colourful language, and her big heart. We will miss her sass, her spunk, and her stories.

Sleep well, Lizzie. Sleep well.

13 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

My heart goes out to you. So much. Thank you for the care and love you gave to Lizzie. I hope she can indeed sleep well, free at last from that insidious disease.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I am so sorry, Jemi. Prayers for you and your whole family.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Jemi. I lost my mom, who also suffered from Dementia, in early October. I am glad your mom is at peace and not suffering anymore.

Jemi Fraser said...

Sue - thanks so much. I'm sure she's at peace and dancing again.

Alex - thank you so much

Natalie - thank you. It's such a cruel disease. I know she's happy to be free of it!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Dementia is a sad, tragic disease. Lonely....might I say? A cruel separation. I'm sorry this happened to you and your mother.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

So very, very sorry, Jemi.

Jemi Fraser said...

Yvonne - Thank you, it is a terrible disease. We were lucky Mom kept her spunk to the very end.

Diane - thank you

Patricia JL said...

Sorry for your loss but that book and your memories will keep her alive.

Kyra Lennon said...

Sending you so much love! <3

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks Patty! I'm glad her story is out there :)

Kyra - thanks so much!

Deniz Bevan said...

My condolences to you and your family, Jemi <3 I'm glad you shared her story with us!

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

Jemi, I failed to comment when this first happened, maybe because it is a painful reminder that my time with my own mom is limited, and it hurts to think it. My heart goes out to you with this loss. I'm glad Lizzie at least went out without pain.

Jemi Fraser said...

Deniz - thank you. Lizzie would LOVE that her story is out there entertaining and helping others

Rebecca - I totally understand that. It is painful to contemplate. Enjoy as much time as you have - I know you'll have lots of great memories to treasure