Wednesday, March 1, 2023

IWSG & Great Twists

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. He, his clones, minions, friends, and fellow authors make it an amazing event every month.


IWSG badge

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!   

March 1st question: March 1 question - Have you ever read a line in novel or a clever plot twist that caused you to have author envy?

I'm continually impressed by other authors. I've always loved mysteries and remember devouring Encyclopedia Brown. When I moved up to Agatha Christie novels I was enthralled. I think Christie is the queen of plot twists. And Then There Were None. The ABC Murders. Murder On The Orient Express. The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd...so many!

I also love a clever first line (It was a pleasure to burn) and a line that pulls me right into the character's heart. So many of my friends here at IWSG know exactly how to do these things well!

But, envy? Nope.

That's not part of my personality. I will be enthralled, impressed, and brought to tears, but I won't wish I'd written it. Instead, I'll cheer on the author and then dig deep to try to create my own magic.

How about you? Any favourite first lines? Any favourite authors who pull off those magical twists?

18 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Same with me - envy, no, admiration, yes.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You may write romance but I know you can write a good mystery.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
You said it. I don't envy any author. I admire them.
Shalom shalom

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Jemi, thrillers always get me envious.

cleemckenzie said...

I collect great "first lines" and enjoy reading them over and over. I also love those last lines in chapters keep you reading.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I like to cheer on other authors and appreciate their talents too. I'm always amazed at mystery and thriller authors who surprise us with the twists in their stories.

Carol Kilgore said...

A bit of envy pops up every now and then, but it never lingers. We're all in this together. I wish everyone well.

Tonja Drecker said...

I'm awed by mystery and thriller writers, and how clever they can twist things. It's a treat to admire and experience...but never envy.

Olga Godim said...

You're right. Envy is pointless. My favorite writers often inspire in me admiration and appreciation, but not envy.

Jemi Fraser said...

Alex - agreed :)

Diane - thank you! I tend to include mysteries/suspense in all my stories

Pat - and there are so many to admire!

Rachna - there are a lot of good thriller writers! I don't have that skill :)

Lee - those last line hooks can be so well done!

Natalie - I'd love to borrow their brains sometimes! Mine prefers to be mostly straightforward

Carol - totally agree!

Tonja - I agree - so much to enjoy and learn from!

Olga - it's so much fun to read great books by talented authors.

Denise Covey said...

I think 'envy' in this case means aspiring to reach the lofty heights of the authors we admire. I don't see anything wrong with that. We all aspire to improve our writing and reading great writers only helps. Love great plot twists and first sentences too. Big time.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Oh yes, "It was a pleasure to burn" is a great line. Encyclopedia Brown was one of the few children's/MG series I didn't skip over as a kid. I loved those books.

Jemi Fraser said...

Denise - I never think of envy that way, but it totally works!

Shannon - me too - I devoured them at the library :)

Diane Burton said...

Yes, admire rather than envy. Love a good plot twist.

Nas said...

I admire the writer when I see a clever line.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Admiration is a better way of putting it.

Jemi Fraser said...

Diane - me too - they're such fun!

Nas - I agree!

Lynda - agreed - but I think we all mean the same thing :)

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I love finding a writer to envy :)