So what kinds of advice did she give out? Lots. Here's what she sees as trendy in the YA market right now:
- sexy, action packed fantasy.
- funny, humourous works
- horror - really scary stuff
- romance in everything - teens are walking hormones!
- contemporary stories
- summer before college stories
- maximum age of protag is 17 or 18
- near future stories
- including parents - maybe spotlighting positive dad/daughter relationship
- trying for 'hip' dialogue
- names: Grace, Caleb & Calllum (too many of them)
- college aged kids
- centaurs, angels, and... mollusks (trust me - you had to be there!)
Thanks to Ms Law - and thanks to the pedicure that prompted the chat in the first place!