I don't remember all the reasons, but as I'm reading through my NaNo novel, I'm keeping track of these lines in a file within my Scrivener folder and I'm finding some interesting things.
- only a few of my first lines really stink
- some of them are even pretty good
- my last lines are often very short - 1-3 words
- my characters are pretty sarcastic
- putting the 1st and last lines together gives a great summary of the chapter's emotion
- reading the list through gives a great sense of the story - and of the pace (which I always need help with). Much more helpful for editing than I expected
Doing this has helped me see I've grown as a writer too. I'm coming into scenes later and exiting earlier - trusting in the reader more. (Thanks to my fabulous CPs once again!!!)
Have you ever tried this? Any great first or last lines to share?