Wednesday, April 3, 2024

IWSG & Blogging News

  The Insecure Writer's Support Group is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. He, his clones, minions, friends, and fellow authors make it an amazing event every month.


IWSG badge

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!  

***

April 3 question - How long have you been blogging? (Or on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram?) What do you like about it and how has it changed?

Looking at my side panel, I see I've been blogging since 2009. Wow - that's a long time.

I started blogging without a clue how to do pretty much anything involved with writing. But it's been fun and I've enjoyed it.

My favourite part of blogging is the people I've met. I've met so many amazing writers and readers. I've learned most of what I know from people I've met through blogging. The connections I've made with bloggers, writers, and readers have been incredible.

Having said that, I think it's time for me to take a step back from the blog. I'm not sure if it's a permanent step or not, but I think it might be.

Writing and publishing are time-consuming ventures and I'm stretched a little thin. Time isn't a renewable resource and at this point, I need to make some tough decisions about where to best spend that time.

While blogging has been a lot of fun, I think I can better use that time on my stories. I'll probably still pop in from time to time, but I'm not making any promises :)

Thank you to everyone who's visited, commented, helped me along the way. I hope I've done my fair share of reaching out and helping as well.

Thanks to Alex and the IWSG for this wonderful, safe place to talk and connect.

Wishing you all the very best! I'll only be an email away!


14 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's sad you are stepping back. I don't blog as often anymore, but once a month for the IWSG keeps me connected.

Rachna Chhabria said...

I'm not blogging as much as I would like to. You mentioned Alex's clones, I too think he must be having clones to do all that he does :)

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

We'll miss hearing from you! But I totally get it. There are only so many hours in the day and you teach, too!

Natalie Aguirre said...

I agree with Diane and Elizabeth. It's sad that you won't be blogging with us even once a month. I hope you don't lose contact with your blogger friends because it's much harder to stay in touch and up to date on your books when you're blogging. But I understand that you have to use your time wisely.

Elephant's Child said...

I am sad that you are stepping back from blogging but totally understand your need to prioritise. With all that is on your plate stretched thin is an understatement.

cleemckenzie said...

I hear you when you say you're stretched a little thin. It's just not possible to do everything in this publishing business and not feel that stretch. However, you've done a great job.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I hope you still show up on the first wednesday just so we know how you're doing. Best of luck with all the stories.

Olga Godim said...

We'll miss you, Jemi. I hope you'll still be around the blogosphere for a long time to come. Maybe not that often, but once in a while ...

emaginette said...

You'll be missed. Take care. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Fundy Blue said...

Oh, Jemi! I'm sorry that you're stepping away from blogging. I will miss you, but I realize that our journey through life is always opening and closing doors. Wishing you all the best. I'll continue with blogging because I love the camaraderie. Take care!

Patricia JL said...

I stepped back from blogging a few years ago and just do IWSG now, so I understand the need to.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Jemi,
You are one of my oldest blogging buddies and I don't want you to leave!!!
I've been blogging since 2008, and didn't know a darn thing about it either. I've stepped back now and then, rarely posting for a couple of years but I always come back. There's so much history in these pages. It's like an online journal. Regardless, I know we'll keep in touch!

Tara Tyler said...

it’s amazing how blogging has changed. way back when, it was the thing to do to meet and chat with writers. I’m so glad I was a part of that!

Now with social media, not as many take the time to visit blogs, they’d rather scroll tweets & insta pics. I wish I was better at that scene, but I value the friends I made through blogging. We also realize we need to write more! I feel ya, that’s why I only blog once a month these days...

Good luck & Keep at it!

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

I'll be sorry if you stop doing even IWSG posts--but I get it. BLogging takes time and energy, and those get more finite as we go on! I really stink at the other ways of connecting with readers and fellow writers, so I guess it's worthwhile for me?