Wednesday, November 1, 2017

IWSG & NaNo

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. He, his clones, minions, friends, and fellow authors make it an amazing event every month.



Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

And we’re revving up IWSG Day to make it more fun and interactive! Every month, we'll announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG Day post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say.

November 1 question - Win or not, do you usually finish your NaNo project? Have any of them gone on to be published?

I adore NaNo! I first stumbled on it just as I decided to try out this whole writing thing. Since then I've written several 1st drafts with NaNo - and finished them all. However, I haven't published (or even queried) them.

Why?

I'm still learning and I know they're not quite there. I believe they're close - but not close enough. Not yet. Maybe one day.

This year, I'm trying NaNo again - but this time with a twist. This time, I'm going in with an outline. I'm a pantser at heart so I have no idea if attempting an outline before I write will be a good thing or a bad thing. I'm worried having an outline is going to make me freeze, but there's only one way to find out!

I'm going to need all kinds of chocolate and support. Hope you're all up to the challenge of making sure I don't give up!!!

How about you? Are you a NaNo-er too? Any plotting tips to help me think this might actually work?

38 comments:

JeffO said...

Cheers for trying new things! I think NaNo is generally a good thing, and give it credit for jump-starting this whole writing thing for me. I'm not likely to be doing it officially this year, as I'm still doing revisions on another work, but I'll be cheering you all on. Good luck!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good luck! I think the plotting will help. Of course, I don't start anything without a detailed outline.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You have an idea where the story is going, but if it takes off on a new route, that's okay. Good luck and just keep writing.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
with your attitude, I say you're going to make it through. I have done NaNo with an outline and as a panther and got through on both of them.
Go for it and I wish you all the best.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

Chemist Ken said...

Plotting ahead of time certainly helps. But I've found that once I veer off that outline, things fall apart quickly. So good luck with staying on track.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Glad you like NaNo so much. I'm too busy to do it. Will be curious to see how the outline works for you. I can't completely outline but am trying to outline the major points and fill in as I go.

Love Affair with Food said...

All the best with your NaNo, Jemi!

Heather R. Holden said...

Best of luck with NaNo! Hope your outline ends up being more of a help than a hindrance for you. I think if you give yourself permission to change it as needed, you'll be less likely to freeze up...

Jennifer Hawes said...

Outlines are good. As a pantser, I've learned they are a necessary evil;-) I'm so ready for NaNo!

M.J. Fifield said...

I love that you've had so much success with NaNoWriMo. I'll be interested to hear how things work out for you this month with your outline. I always pants my NaNo projects, but I carefully plot out the rest.

cleemckenzie said...

An outline should give you a leg up! Good luck.

Carol Kilgore said...

I'm cheering for you from Texas with virtual chocolate, wine, hugs, high-fives, fist bumps and maybe a parade of firefighters holding puppies :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks! NaNo works differently for everyone - hoping this one works out!

Jemi Fraser said...

I know you do! My outline isn't super detailed but I THINK (hope!) it's going to work :)

Jemi Fraser said...

So true - I tend to follow my gut :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Thank you - I'm going to need it!!

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm curious too! I've followed the book "Take Off Your Pants' to help me with this outline. We'll see!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks!

Jemi Fraser said...

I hope so too! That is a good plan! :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks Karen :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Yay - that gives me some confidence it might work!

Jemi Fraser said...

I always pants everything! Except that I do know there are going to be happy endings! :)

Jemi Fraser said...

In theory anyway! We'll see what reality brings :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Yay!!! Those will ALL help ... especially those firefighters!! :)

emaginette said...

With an outline you're armed and dangerous. Good luck. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Leslie S. Rose said...

You go girl! I'm not Nano-ing, but having done it in the past really honed my writing regime. As you know - teaching can suck you dry and it takes crazy effort some days to summon the creativity. I'm rooting for you.

Rosemary Johnson said...

An outline is a good idea, Jemi. I normally have an outline in my head only. I try to write it down but it changes so much as to become useless.

DMS said...

Wishing you the best of luck. I have always wanted to try NaNo- but so far my Novembers have been to jam packed with other things. Hope the outline works out! :)
~Jess

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Good luck with your NaNo project!!! I did better when I had an outline.

klahanie said...

Hey Jemi,

How's it goin', eh? All the very best with NaNo and your outline endeavour.

As for me ever doing NaNo? You might find this hard to believe but I spoofed the whole thing in a past post. Anyway, makes me think of Mork from Mork and Mindy!

Gary 😀

Crystal Collier said...

I think writing with an outline definitely improves productivity, but it also is a way to keep the balance of the story. I used to write more freely, and I found many many a wasted word that had to be chopped because I gave my characters too much freedom. It was great getting to know them more, but it made for more work in the end.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks! Armed & dangerous sounds fun!!

Jemi Fraser said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean!!! So far so good... but it's Day 5 :)

Jemi Fraser said...

I hope it's a good idea! I don't mind taking twists and turns, but I'm also hoping sticking more or less to it will help me up the conflict in the story!!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks Jess! NaNo definitely has to come at the right time before you jump into it!

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm hoping for the same - thanks!!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks Gary! I love the spoof!
Nanu Nanu to you as well :)

Jemi Fraser said...

That balance is what I need - I tend to not have enough deep conflict - hoping this outline is the ticket!