Wednesday, September 7, 2022

IWSG & Nightmares & Built Of Strength

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. He, his clones, minions, friends, and fellow authors make it an amazing event every month.


IWSG badge

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! 

September 7 question - What genre would be the worst one for you to tackle and why?

Horror would be the worst for me.

I had debilitating nightmares as a child. Bad enough that they would scare my mother when I told her about them. I still remember quite a few of them (some recurred a lot) and they're still terrifying. My folks were worried enough to take me to doctors who all declared I simply had a vivid imagination.

Very helpful.

It took me years of practice to learn to "push away" the nightmares so that I could step out of those worlds and into the real one. It's a push with my brain to the left and it works. No idea why.

Fictional worlds have always been real to me (even though I know they're fictional...). Whatever horrific thing that happens to the MC in movies, TV, & books feels as if it's happening to me. And happens again and again in my dreams.

Writing horror would mean living in that world for the time I needed to write the book. Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

So, no horror for me, thanks!!

How about you? Any genres off-limits for you and your brain?

PS: Built of Secrets releases next week!


When life was tearing them down, they shared a scorching—and anonymous—one-night stand.
Five years later, they come face to blushing face at Midnight Lake. Aisling has committed to renovating the old lodge for her friend. Graham is part-owner of a security business operating out of the same property. And they both want to claim the shop space. Let the awkwardness commence. 
But the mutual attraction? Still scorching hot. 
When Aisling is attacked, Graham realizes he wants more than one night. Now, he has to make sure she not only survives, but that she feels the same.

26 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations on your next book!
I guess if I had nightmares about it, that would keep me away from a genre. I find real life far more terrifying though.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It's like those who write very twisted thrillers that are seen in part through the villain's perspective. I couldn't do that.

cleemckenzie said...

Big congratulations on your latest book, Jemi! I can't write romance, so I'm glad someone else can and do it so well.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Jemi, congratulations on your new book. I wouldn't be able to do horror too.

Pat Garcia said...

hi,
Writing horror would also be a no-no for me.
All the best.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

Jemi Fraser said...

Alex - real life can be awful too, but the nightmares bring that all home

Diane - I'd love to be able to do it - I've got lots of fodder, just not enough courage

Lee - thanks! I love romance!!

Rachna - thank you!!

Pat - same to you!

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I like to read and watch psychological thrillers, but horror? Nope and nope.

Good luck on your new book.

Teresa

M.J. Fifield said...

I would not be able to write a decent horror story. I'd spend the whole time hiding under the bed, going, "No! It's creep and scary and I don't like it!"

Hooray for a new book release!!

Elephant's Child said...

Congratulations on your latest about to be released. Horror? Nope. Reality is more than horrific enough for me.

J.Q. Rose said...

I don't know why my mom let me go to a Frankenstein movie when I was 7 years old. Well, I think the boys told her the funny trio of the Three Stooges were in the movie too so they could go. Anyway, I spent the whole movie under the movie seat on the cold concrete, filthy floor. That marked me for the rest of my life. No Horror Movies Ever.

Congratulations on your new release. I love her name. Best wishes!!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Congrats on your new book! I'd say horror too and romance. I need it to be part of another genre.

Chemist Ken said...

I hope the doctors who said you had a vivid imagination told your parents you were born to be a writer.

Jemi Fraser said...

Teresa - my daughter loves both horror and psychological thrillers. I'm too wimpy for both!

MJ - I'm totally with you on that one!

Sue - thank you! And I agree - I like my happy endings!

JQ - Oh no! That's so traumatic!! Thank you - Aisling is such a pretty name :)

Natalie - it's easier to do some of these genres in a blend - I have bits of scary pieces in my stories, but I couldn't cope with the constant tension

Ken - That would have been nice!

Olga Godim said...

Congrats on your latest release.
I feel the same about horror as you do: don't read it and don't write it. Even though I almost never have nightmares.

Carol Kilgore said...

I'm so glad this story is finally coming out!

I couldn't write horror either. I can't read it and can't watch most horror movies.

Denise Covey said...

Nightmares are no fun. I haven't suffered from them but I like to include them in my writing! I don't mind reading horror, but I hate it on the screen. I inject some horror in my vampire stories of course. I have your books, Jemi, just finding time to read them is the problemo atm.

Debbie Johansson said...

I love horror! Not the slasher type, but the slow, quiet horror. I love the suspense. My favourite is Gothic, partly because it can include other genres, like romance. This is why I write it. It's understandable why you don't like it though, those nightmares must have been terrifying. Congratulations on your latest release!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I don't mind reading the occasional tame horror, but, like you, it's not my thing to write. There are some places I just don't want to visit ;)

Jemi Fraser said...

Olga - Thank you! I think the nightmares give me a ton of great story ideas, but I just can't live in that world to write them!

Carol - me too - so excited!!

Denise - my kids both had night terrors too - seems to be a family thing here. Thanks, Denise - hope you enjoy them when you find some time!

Debbie - My daughter loves those twisty psychological horror/thriller books! I wish I could read it because the storylines are fascinating, but it's not worth it. And thank you!!

Lynda - exactly! Too hard to stay in that world for any length of time!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Oh, I hadn't thought about horror, but I did edit a horror novel for someone I know, and yes, certain images are rather stuck in my brain, which isn't a good thing in this case.
Happy writing happy endings! :)

Toi Thomas said...

Horror is tough for many people. I just discovered your Bloo Moose series and now you have this one. Congratulations! I'll get caught up one day.

emaginette said...

I've never heard of an imagination causing so much trouble. I'm glad you've learned to cope with it and thrive in your romances.

Anna from elements of emaginette

Damyanti Biswas said...

Congratulations on your next book, Jemi. I enjoy horror actually :D I love a good scare, Haha. However, I don't think I can do historical fiction or children's book now that I think of it.

Jemi Fraser said...

Toi - LOL - no worries. There are always more books out there than we can read!

Anna - Thanks so much! It's been bad enough, I've had my kids check out movies and shows before I watch them :)

Damyanti - Thank you!! I can't handle the fright - but my daughter loves a good, twisty horror tale! I'm with you on historical fiction too!

Jemi Fraser said...

Tyrean - sorry, your comment got stuck in the spam filter. The images definitely stay with you - and the emotions. Those have the most staying power of all!

Patricia JL said...

I wouldn't mind trying to write a horror. No idea if it'd be any good, but I'd give it a shot.