Wednesday, February 15, 2023

WEP & With The Wind

This was where they’d met. Janie smiled as she looked over the view. It hadn’t changed that much over the decades.

Tom had been hiking with his buddies on their summer break, she'd been alone. They were all on the coast for the summer, working jobs in the tourist town. Tom had been working at a souvenir shop, she’d been at the fudge shop across the street.


But they’d met on the top of this hill. The hike had been worth it for the view alone. Meeting Tom had made it the best hike of her life. They’d often joked about what they’d have missed out on if they hadn’t made that hike at the same time all those years ago.


No holding hands or stolen kisses in the shadows between the street lamps. No dances on the beach or anniversary trips back here. No kids or grandkids.


They’d been so lucky, so blessed. And today was a day to celebrate that. A day to look back on all the kisses, all the stolen moments, all the laughter. Even the tears.


Jane walked to the edge of the bluff and shook the tube the funeral director had given her. Tom hadn’t wanted a fuss. The man had never wanted a fuss.


With a tear slipping down her cheek, Jane opened the tube and watched the last of Tom’s earthly body slip away on the wind.


But he’d never really be gone. How could he be? He’d become a part of her just as she’d been a part of him. She’d carry him along with her and make sure the little ones knew all about their gramps.


Jane blew a kiss to the wind. Whenever she felt the breeze, she’d know Tom was kissing her back.


***

Tagline: Gone isn't always gone

***



The above is part of the WEP Challenge for February's prompt Gone With The Wind.

Confession 1 time: I've never read the book. I've never seen the movie. I doubt I'll ever remedy that 🤷  It's never been something that appealed to me. But I love the title!

For the WEP challenges, I almost always draw inspiration from the title or the words. I've done that again with this prompt and probably will for the rest of the prompts (because I haven't seen most of those movies either!).

Confession 2 time: As many of you know, my mom was placed into palliative care a few weeks ago. She passed peacefully and painlessly shortly afterward. I wrote this piece before any of that happened. I almost wrote a new piece, but decided to leave this as is. I'll be thinking of Lizzie whenever I touch the wind.

I hope you check out the other entries in this month's challenge and I really hope you'll enter your own piece. We're always eager for new writers to join in!

20 comments:

M.J. Fifield said...

That's really such a lovely story, Jemi. <3

Denise Covey said...

Beautiful lead in Jemi. So much calm emotion and love. I'm hope you're doing okay now that Lizzie has passed. I'm glad you posted this story. Nailed it.

Olga Godim said...

A wonderful story. After such a full, happy life together, I think he will always be with her, long after his ashes scattered on the wind.
You packed so much emotional upheaval into so few words, Jemi. A great work from a writer's perspective.

N. R. Williams said...

Even after a lifetime together, it's hard to lose someone. Her attitude is good, though. And, she will keep him alive with memories. Well done.
Nancy

Jemi Fraser said...

MJ - thank you :)

Denise - Thank you. We're doing okay for the most part. Lizzie wouldn't want it any other way

Olga - thanks so much, Olga. Your words mean a lot.

Nancy - It really is. I'm thankful for the good memories we're all able to keep when we lose a loved one

Nilanjana Bose said...

This is a perfect, polished gem of a story. Just beautiful. I don't have the right words to say more, Jemi.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
This is a very sweet love story that held through all the years of having kids and grandkids and I love it.
Beautifully written.
Shalom shalom

A Hundred Quills said...

Hi Jemi. That last line of your story is all heart. It's so true, gone isn't always gone.
Sonia

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That ended much sadder than anticipated!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks so much, Nila

Pat - love doe indeed last!

Sonia - you're right. My dad's been gone for almost 25 years, but he's still here with me. Lizzie will be as well.

Alex - that's where my heart's been for a while

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jemi - so sad to read the tie-in - yet I feel you'll be pleased you wrote it before Lizzie left you. Emotional ... and as you say to Alex - it's where your heart has been and will always be. I'm pleased in the story ... Janie will make sure the grandkids know how special gramps was ... I can so easily relate. Thank you for not changing it ... this way - you can have your own personal one for your Ma ... I feel for you - with thoughts - Hilary

Yolanda Renée said...

So beautifully written, and the calm and yet sad remembrance were so well done. Just excellent.

dolorah said...

That was beautiful; consigning him to the wind. I have the ashes of my dead in a cabinet. Someday maybe my great grandkids will release them. Or, maybe it will be affordable to send them to the stars and into the cosmos.

Sorry about your mother. Its tough losing a parent.

Beth Camp said...

I appreciate very much this well-told story that shows the connections we feel after a loved one has died. Nice take on 'gone with the wind' -- and not gone at all, but a celebration of all that was good. Even that last line hints at love.

Damyanti Biswas said...

Such a vivid, emotional story. Loved the way it ended, Jemi.

Jemi Fraser said...

Hilary - Thank you - we knew Lizzie had been declining and the end was inevitable. Janie's going to do a good job keeping Tom alive!

Renee - thank you

Donna - I'd love to be out in the cosmos when the time comes. Thank you - it is hard indeed

Beth - thanks so much - love does live on!

Damyanti - thanks so much!

Sally said...

Although it's a sad story it's so beautifully written.
So sorry for your loss x

Jemi Fraser said...

Sally - thank you so much

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

Jemi, you know you have my sympathy for the loss of your mom. And that was a beautiful story, if a little painful in some ways. You know.

As for GWTW, I've seen it. I didn't like it. I thought all the main characters were unpleasant.

Jemi Fraser said...

Rebecca - Thanks so much, Rebecca. I need good people in the stories I watch and read!