Wednesday, April 5, 2023

IWSG & My Winding Road to Publication

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. He, his clones, minions, friends, and fellow authors make it an amazing event every month.


IWSG badge

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

***

April 5 question - Do you remember writing your first book? What were your thoughts about a career path on writing? Where are you now and how is it working out for you? If you're at the start of the journey, what are your goals? 

I do! A couple of decades ago, I decided to write a book for fun. I'd always been a voracious reader, but I'd (strangely) never written fiction before. Probably the dearth of creative writing in school had a hand in this.

When my kids were napping, I wrote a Star Trek TNG fan fiction novel. It focused on a planet with terrible "human" rights violations and Geordie was the MC although the entire cast had parts and POV chapters.

I'm sure it was angsty and terrible, but I had so much fun writing it. Because my kids were little, it probably took me a year or two or three. I don't have a copy of it anymore but I wish I did.

I wrote entirely for fun. My foray into research on writing told me writers needed agents. I thought only famous people like actors and sports stars had agents, so I put the thought of being a writer out of my mind...

Until a few years later when I wrote another novel for fun. This one about a journalist who wrote about Jane & John Does in the morgue. I don't have a copy of this one either. *sigh*

Several years later, I stumbled across Agent Query Connect and in the forums, I learned that regular people do write books and thought Hmm, that's probably for extroverts and brave people.

Then I started to learn the craft. That took a decade or so before I figured out my voice and what stories I really wanted to write. I played around with writing YA, MG, steampunk, SF, mystery... At one point I spoke to two agents about my YA steampunk book, but decided I didn't want to make the required changes necessary to play the traditional publishing game.

When dementia slammed into our family, I started writing snippets of our journey. These coalesced into a book and I finally decided that maybe I could put my books out there.

Then I took a risk and entered an anthology contest and my short crime story was chosen, giving me a confidence boost.

Now, I'm having a blast writing books I like and publishing them when I'm ready (2 more releasing in the next little while). I love being a wide Indie Author and plan to continue for a long while yet.

How about you? Have your tastes as a writer (or a reader) changed over the years? Ever write fan fiction?

***

Reaching For More

One interfering mom,

one fake relationship, 

one stalker who doesn't like it at all


Built Of Second Chances


He’d thought she was dead.

 

He’d changed his life to hunt down those who’d killed her.

 

But everything he’d thought was a lie.

23 comments:

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

Being a wide indie author is the best :-) Glad you're enjoying yourself.

Ronel visiting for IWSG day If The Author’s Life Were a Fairy Tale

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

From fan fiction (Star Trek - too cool) to published short story to novelist - quite the journey!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It's a good thing you entered that contest. It gave you the boost you needed.

cleemckenzie said...

It's the "having fun" part that is so important about writing, isn't it? You certainly are having that now with all of your romances!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Wide Indie Authors are awesome! And I love your journey. I would like to read some of those YA books, even if they don't fit industry standards - maybe because they don't. :)
Glad you found your way to writing what you love.

Elephant's Child said...

This greedy reader is so very glad that you are having fun. It shows.

Victoria Marie Lees said...

You are so brave, Jemi. You kept writing and you entered a contest. Bravo on being accepted. And all the luck with the two new releases. I'm so glad you enjoy being a writer now. Way to go!

emaginette said...

Funny how some things stops us from diving in. I'm glad you too the plunge. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I've always thought that writing fan fic was one of the very best ways to rapidly learn the craft in a close-knit and supportive community! You've done such a great job on your writing journey; congratulations to you!

Carol Kilgore said...

So glad you started publishing! My books don't fit neatly into a standard genre, so I also love being an indie author.

Olga Godim said...

I wrote my first fan fiction story years after I had my original novels published by a small publisher. I feel like my fan fiction is a tribute to the writers I admire. By now, I have several fan fiction stories, and I published them all on wattpad. People even read them ... sometimes. :))

Jemi Fraser said...

Ronel - it's so much fun!

Alex - I do love my SF!

Diane - it sure did!

Lee - it sure is - Life is far too short to do things I don't enjoy!

Tyrean - I'll have to dig out the steampunk one day - it was a fun story! Sometimes those industry standards just don't fit

Sue - thanks so much!

Victoria - it's a lot of fun. But I have needed a few (gentle) kicks in the butt to be brave!

Anna - me too! It's been a fun journey!

Elizabeth - thank you! I think fan fiction is a great learning experience. Helps to already have some of the basics in place in order to learn the rest!

Olga - LOL - I've heard of Wattpad but I've never actually looked into it. One day maybe... :)

Sarah Foster said...

I've never written fanfiction but it's wonderful that it opened the door to becoming a writer for you!

Denise Covey said...

Yes, Jemi, learning the craft is the kicker. Great that you persevered. Pity about not keeping copies of those books!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I've never written fan fiction, but I feel like it would help with various aspects of craft quite a bit. I'm glad you kept going and had fun doing it. And that you're still having fun.

jabblog said...

Pleasure in writing is the primary requirement. Everything else - or anything else - is the icing on the cake.

Visiting from http://jabblog-jabblog.blogspot.com

Diane Burton said...

Writing for fun. Super attitude. That will carry you far.

Jemima Pett said...

That's a superb story in itself, Jemi. I'm so glad you found your calling, though ;)
Jemima

Nick Wilford said...

You've tried a lot of different things and that's good. It's good to experiment. Glad you're having fun in your journey.

Jemi Fraser said...

Sarah - It was such a fun place to start!

Denise - it would be fun to see how bad they are! I'm sure they're full of angst :)

Shannon - I think writing fan fiction taught me I could write a story. Now I much prefer to write my own

Jabblog - I'm at the point of life where if it's not something I enjoy, I'm probably not doing it :)

Diane - thanks! I'll keep doing it as long as it's fun

Jemima - thanks! It's been a fun journey so far!

Natalie Aguirre said...

I started writing after I became a parent too. I wasn't writing for fun, but it was more fun writing and thinking about getting published back then.

Jemi Fraser said...

Nick - I'm having so much fun! :)

Natalie - the publishing world has indeed changed in the last decade!

Patricia JL said...

I'm glad you took the risk.