Wednesday, May 3, 2023

IWSG & Working Inspiration

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. He, his clones, minions, friends, and fellow authors make it an amazing event every month.


IWSG badge

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

*** 

May 3 question - When you are working on a story, what inspires you?

For me, it's always the characters.

By the time I get to actually writing a story, I know the characters well because they've been walking around in my head telling me their backstory for a while.

Probably because I'm a #2 Empathy (Clifton Strengths), the only time I'm reluctant to work on their story is during the crisis scenes. Even though I know I write romance and I know it's all going to be okay, those scenes are difficult. Sometimes it takes me days to work up to writing the tough stuff. #wimpywriter

In general though, I can't wait for the characters to get their happy endings and they can't have them if I'm not writing. I like seeing them happy and enjoying life.

Hmm. Just thinking that this is more motivation than inspiration...

However, that's the answer that's calling to me, so I'll stick with it.

How about you? Are motivation and inspiration different when you're in the middle of a story? Do you write for the characters, the plot puzzles, the tension creation or something else?

23 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like crisis scenes and watching my characters squirm!

Carol Kilgore said...

You write great HEAs :)

I write mystery, and if the mystery involves the death of a character that has been in the story, it takes me a long time to work up to writing that scene. I become the queen of procrastination and will even clean and sort my sock drawer before writing that death scene.

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

My characters tell me what to do, too :-)

Ronel visiting for IWSG day Joining the Creator Economy

M.J. Fifield said...

I really do love my characters (though they would probably argue otherwise...) and love getting to know them and their stories. But I also love figuring out those plot puzzles. I love that moment where everything drops right into place. :)

Rachna Chhabria said...

I too start writing after my characters have been squatting in my head for quite some time, so I am familiar with their back story and motives.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Characters! That's a unique answer.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I can see how knowing that your characters are relying on you to give them their happy life could be the inspiration for writing. I'll have to remember that when I'm stuck.

Elephant's Child said...

As a character driven reader I thank you. Wholeheartedly.

Olga Godim said...

I seldom know my characters before a story unfolds in my head. It usually starts with a scene or a dialog, and then I ask myself: who is involved? Who are those people and where/when do they live?

Jemi Fraser said...

Alex - you're braver than I am!!

Carol - thank you!! I can't imagine writing those scenes - I'm SUCH a wimp! :)

Ronel - they're always in charge :)

MJ - LOL - those are the best moments for sure!!

Rachna - I find it so much easier for the story to happen when I know them well

Diane - LOL

Natalie - they need you!

Sue - Thanks so much!

Olga - that's a fun way to do it!

Tyrean Martinson said...

I write for the characters in the hopes they will.conquer their fears and.trounles.to emerge stronger than before their adventures.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

That's why I love your books

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

I enjoy writing the crisis scenes, but they are not relationship crises--those would make me squirm. Dumping my heroine off the ferry dock into Puget Sound, though, is great fun!

A Hundred Quills said...

That your characters inspire you is a great motivation to finish that manuscript!
Sonia

Michelle Wallace said...

I love creating tension!!

Romance Reader said...

Emotions, tension, characters. Everything comes into play.

Patricia JL said...

Those crisis scenes are tough. You have to make yourself feel because that's a good sign your readers are going to feel. it's draining.

Jemi Fraser said...

Tyrean - that's completely awesome! And you do it well!

Lynda - thanks so much!

Rebecca - you're right - the relationship crises are the most challenging. I hope your heroine gets out of the sound!

Sonia - it makes it so much fun!

Michelle - ack! It causes me a lot of stress!

RR - they are all so important!

Patty - completely agree!! Those scenes wear me right out

Steven Arellano Rose Jr. said...

I initially write for the plot development and, being a writer of horror, the tension. After the energy of those things come out in one of the early drafts, I get rolling with the characters.

Characters must come pretty easy to you to be inspired by them. It takes me several drafts to get the characters to even near inspiring!

DMS said...

Talking about my ideas usually gives me inspiration. Great post! It made me think. :)
~Jess

Romance Book Haven said...

Awesome post. I like to put my characters through the wringer most of the times!

Jemi Fraser said...

Steven - I do love my characters! Yes, they're pretty easy for me - it's the plot stuff I have to work hard at!!

Jess - yay!! I love new ideas and having them bounce off each other!

RBH - ack!!! I struggle with it every damn time!!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi Jemi,

Characters certainly can be inspiring! Imagining all the situations we can put them in and figuring out how to get them out of it. LOL.

Many things inspire me. Mostly, nature and especially beautiful gardens and parks. I spent three years so far working on my gardens and they make me so happy...watching spring flowers blossom right before my eyes is truly inspirational to me.