Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Think Of Me

Cassie took a deep breath and slipped into the shadowed doorway. No one called her out and no one appeared to ask her what she was up to. She turned the knob and only opened the door enough to pass through.


The darkness was punctured by red emergency lights above the doors. Spooky but at least it wasn’t completely dark. She wouldn’t have to risk a light.


The metal stairs and walkways might be sturdy, but they appeared too ethereal in the dim light that reminded her a little too much of blood. It took three deep breaths before she built up the nerve to step onto the first catwalk to cross the cavernous space.


Following the instructions she’d memorized, Cassie moved silently on her sneakers to the third stairway leading down. A couple of levels below, the shadows shifted but no one yelled at her. With a shiver, she checked behind her and above, but nothing else stirred.


Down she went. Through a door. Down again. Two catwalks. Up a level. Cross two rooms. And down one more time.


The door was unlocked as promised and she slid through it shuddering with relief. It took her seven long breaths before she could peel herself off the door.


The circular room soared into an arch above her. The red lights seemed to pulse with energy.


Cassie pushed off the door and crept to the middle of the room. She needed to be in the exact center.  Once there, she spread her arms wide and turned in a slow circle, embracing the air.


With a deep breath she brought her arms in, lowered her shoulders, closed her eyes and felt her diaphragm pull in the air it needed. Then she sang.


Think of me.

Think of me fondly

when we’ve said goodbye.


The first notes soared into the air and she almost smiled before she pulled herself back into the song that was filled with longing and regrets. Andrew Lloyd Webber knew what he was doing with those notes.


As she sang, the acoustics proved they were indeed perfect. The song filled the space with all the yearning the lyrics provided. She could almost hear the haunting notes of the piano around her as she sang.


Chills covered her as she sang through the heartache and the hope and the memories. She’d never been in a space so beautifully designed for music.


As the final notes ended on a sigh, she wrapped her arms around herself. If the auditions were held here, she stood a chance.


The sound of clapping had her whirling around. Two men stood in an open doorway. They wore orange safety vests and hardhats. One man pointed to the side door. “Nice job, kid. Now get going before we have to charge you with trespassing.”


The other man grinned. “That’s the best version we’ve heard so far. You’re going to nail the audition. Now move it.”

She moved it, grinning all the way. 

***

Tagline: Deep in tunnels, surprises await

***

The above is part of the October WEP Challenge: Phantom Of The Opera. I saw the Toronto production of Phantom one year with my husband for our anniversary. It was incredible!

Webber has written an incredible score. The music is haunting and memorable. I've even learned to play a few of the songs on the piano, including this one. Beautiful music.

To sign up with your own entry or to check out the other entries in the Challenge, check out the links below. There are always amazing entries in the challenge.


Enjoy the challenge!

19 comments:

Yolanda Renée said...

Great piece! I had no idea where it was going, tension was there from the beginning to the moment the clapping started and she turned around. Excellent Flash!

I love that song, so beautiful! I am envious that you've seen it in person. Hubby refused to take me, but I got even. I got the DVD and made him watch it every anniversay. No, not really, but it would have been a great revenge.
Except for his response - scowling and jokes. Men! LOL

Yvonne Osborne said...

Well done Jemi!I thought something sinister was about to happen. It makes me want to see the play. I saw an amateur production in Dayton years ago but don't remember the music.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,

Sometimes, we only need a little encouragement from unexpected strangers to go after our goal.
Excellent job. I love it.
Have a lovely rest of October, and take care.
Shalom shalom

A Hundred Quills said...

I really like how you turn your stories toward the end. Building tension and then coming up with something totally unexpected. This was very enjoyable.
-Sonia

Jemi Fraser said...

Renée - LOL - my hubby wouldn't watch the TV movie with me either - but seeing it live was incredible!

Yvonne - thanks! The music is gorgeous!

Pat - agreed - that support from stranger scan mean the world!

Sonia - thanks! Twists are always fun, especially in shorts :)

Kalpana said...

I loved it. It began on such a note of dread I tensed up, waiting for the blood, guts and gore and instead I got this. This beautiful, light hearted surprise. I do hope she nails the audition.

Beth Camp said...

What a beautiful twist that affirms the music and the commitment of the artist who only wants to sing and sing. The ending made me smile . . . truly lovely!

Elephant's Child said...

Truly beautiful - and packed with hope. Thank you. I didn't know where it was going, and loved the ending.

Shilpa Gupte said...

I was expecting a ghost to appear or instruments to start playing music causing her to scream and flee. I never expected the end! I really hope she wins the auditions.

Jemi Fraser said...

Kalpana - thank you! I hope she does as well!

Beth - thanks! It was a fun one to write :)

Sue - We all need some hope, don't we?

Shilpa - Thanks - I hope she does too!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jemi - this was lovely ... there has to be more to the story ... but she was happy ... I love it when we go away grinning from something - an encounter, a chat etc. ...

The anniversary theatre opera sounds a great memory - and fun to have it here for you both - congratulations. That's brilliant that you're that musical that you can play songs like these on the piano - beautiful as you say. Cheers and congratulations on your entry - Hilary

Denise Covey said...

This was quite breathtaking, Jemi. I'm sure Cassie nailed the audition. Good for her. Follow your dreams, I say. And that music, wow!

Christopher Scott Author said...

An interesting, engaging, and suspenful piece of flash fiction. Even though I admit I found the ending rather amusing. Well done, Jemi.

Kelly Steel said...

Wow, Jemi. Well written with the right amount of suspense.

Nilanjana Bose said...

She's going to nail the audition as you've nailed the prompt. Great gripping flash!

Olga Godim said...

Emotional and humorous simultaneously. Loved it.

Jemi Fraser said...

Hilary - thanks - I think that worker made her day! I love music and playing the piano is good for working out stories!

Denise - the music is so beautiful!

Christopher - thanks! :)

Kelly - thanks so much!

Nila - thanks - this one was fun!

Olga - thanks :)

cleemckenzie said...

What a sweet surprise! Hope she gets the role. :-)

Nas said...

Interesting tagline, Jemi. Deep in the tunnel, surprises await. Intrigue.