Wednesday, November 3, 2021

IWSG & Titles & Lynda & Home!

 The Insecure Writer's Support Group is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. He, his clones, minions, friends, and fellow authors make it an amazing event every month.


IWSG badge

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!  

***

This month's optional question:
What's harder to do, coming up with your book title or writing the blurb?

A few years ago, I would have said titles. Now, I know better, although that could change at any moment.

I write romantic suspense and I write in series. Once I landed on the idea of using a repetitive phrase for the title, it became so much easier. The last word in the title points to the theme of the book.

My 2nd series will release next year and I'm using the same idea with a different phrase

Blurbs on the other hand can drive me batty. I've now worked up a pattern that helps...sort of

  • Tagline (1 sentence)
  • intro FMC and her problem (2 or 3 sentences)
  • intro MMC and his problem (2 or 3 sentences)
  • tie them together & give the stakes (1 or 2 sentences)

How about you, writers? Blurbs or Titles - which presents more of a challenge?
For readers, what draws you to a book more - the title or the blurb?

***

Lynda Young is releasing her latest book today!

Blurb:
This special devotional book is a year-long journey with daily inspirational messages and uplifting scripture to help you spend time with God. It includes short Bible-based teachings that will encourage and refresh. It is faith-building
and thought-provoking with reassuring reminders of God’s love. 

365 days of inspiration and Bible wisdom to lighten your heart.
365 devotions to bring you peace in uncertain times.
365 ways to Cling to God.

A great companion for individual worship or for group Bible study.
The perfect gift book or personal keepsake that will be cherished for years to come.

Start each morning with Cling to God to brighten your day and draw closer to God.

Links:
Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HBMG3L8

Take advantage of the launch price and pick up your ebook for $2.99. This discount will be available for a short time only.

Don’t have a kindle? Then get the free kindle app for iOS, Android, Mac, and PC HERE: https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/browse.html%3Fnode=8498354051&ref=kcp_fd_hz


Author Bio:

Lynda R. Young accepted Jesus into her life in her early teens and has been active in her faith ever since. She has written multiple Christian articles and other inspirational non-fiction, given Bible-based talks, and is always looking for other ways to encourage and uplift. She is also an author of fantasy novels, an editor, game developer, artist, and dabbles in photography and all things creative. She lives in Australia with her sweetheart of a husband. You can find her here: Blog, Twitter, Goodreads

http://lyndaryoung.blogspot.com.au
https://twitter.com/LyndaRYoung
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5832201.Lynda_R_Young

Congrats to Lynda! 

***
Reaching For Home releases on November 16th!

If you're interested in an ARC, head on over to BookSprout - there are a limited number available!

If you want to preorder, check out my website

One left the limelight behind. One is running from it. And one wants to destroy it all.

Nia Alexander is leaving the costume rooms of Hollywood in her rearview mirror and taking her son across the country for a fresh start and a white Christmas. She’s also hoping to leave behind the threats from the jerk who didn’t want to hear the word No.

Jaz LaChance is never going back to the limelight. It’s been almost a decade since his photos were splashed in magazines and on billboards. Funding new businesses in Bloo Moose is better. Until Nia turns out to be a new tenant. Nia saved his ass once, but every time he looks at her, he remembers the humiliation of that night. When Jaz discovers Nia is being threatened, he needs to figure out how to leave the past truly where it belongs.

If they can trust each other they might be able to make a home of their own for the holidays.

45 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations to you and Lynda!
I ended up with a pattern for my series, but it didn't make the titles any easier.

Jemi Fraser said...

Your titles all work so well!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That is an excellent way to do titles. It keeps the series consistent and memorable.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks Diane! I'm having fun with it :)

M.J. Fifield said...

I think blurbs are definitely harder than titles.

You have an excellent system of dealing with both. I just kind of throw various phrases against the wall until something sticks.

Congrats on your upcoming release!

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
Blurbs drive me batty too. Join the club.
Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

Chemist Ken said...

You have to work hard to get blurbs right. All a title requires is that one aha moment when it pops into your head.

Carol Kilgore said...

Blurbs are much more difficult for me than titles. Titles usually come to me in the blink of an eye and usually before I ever write the book. On the few times they haven't, I've had to dig them out one word at a time until I have something that even halfway works. Blurbs are the most difficult of producing the book.

Congrats to Lynda on her new release!

Rachna Chhabria said...

Congratulations to you Jemi and Lynda. Love both your book titles :)

Elephant's Child said...

Congratulations to you, to Lynda and to ALL authors. I find titles well nigh impossible.
As a reader, it is the blurb which will draw me in - or turn me away.

emaginette said...

Congrats, Lyn. Jemi, I love your titles. I always have. :-)

Great advice on the blurb. Loglines I can do. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

cleemckenzie said...

It looks as if two of my favorite people are being very productive! Congrats to you both.

Helen said...

I like your 'template' ideas. Thank you for sharing them. Don't know if I'll use them, but they are a useful idea.

Jemi Fraser said...

And that's how you find the magic!

Jemi Fraser said...

It's a good club to be in - lots of great people!

Jemi Fraser said...

I like those AHA moments - they make life so much easier!

Jemi Fraser said...

Blurbs are definitely a pain!
I have the KISS toolkit - I'll have to look again!

Jemi Fraser said...

I agree! Blurbs cause a lot of angst!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Rachna!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Sue!
I think the blurb is the deciding factor for me as well

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks so much, Anna - that means a lot!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks! You've been very productive yourself! :)

Jemi Fraser said...

I like finding out how others do things - so often it can springboard our own ideas

Olga Godim said...

Blurbs are harder for me, no doubt about that.
I like the idea of having a title template for a series.

Jemi Fraser said...

Blurbs are tough!!
My math-loving brain does love patterns :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I do the same thing with titles of series as you do. I have lynda's other books. Will definitely check out the newest.

Jennifer Hawes said...

I love the formula you presented! It really makes the blurb writing easier.

Jemi Fraser said...

Lynda's a talented author!
I like patterns for a series - makes it fun!

Jemi Fraser said...

Anything that makes blurbs easier is worth a shot!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I love your blurb formula. And your titles work so well!!

Thanks, too, for your continued support for my book. Much appreciated!!!!

Jemi Fraser said...

You're very welcome - happy to help!
I'm so glad I stumbled on the title pattern one day - it makes me happy :)

Anonymous said...

I have the same rhythm with titles. They come easily for me. Blurbs, not so much. I like your template - it hits the necessary high points.

Congrats to Lynda! I've got my copy on Kindle now.

Jemi Fraser said...

I like following patterns when I can - much easier to cope!

Fundy Blue said...

Congratulations to you and Lynda, Jemi! Your series titles help a reader to remember your books. Happy writing in November!

Kalpana said...

Congrats to Lynda! I read your first Reaching for... and I loved it. Glad you reminded me, I must get the rest one by one.
Happy IWSG day.

Jemi Fraser said...

I've never thought of it that way, Fundy! Another reason for me to like my titles - thanks!

Jemi Fraser said...

How nice! Thanks so much, Kalpana!! Enjoy :)

Romance Reader said...

Awesome for Lynda! Congratulations!

Jemi, I've read some of your stories. You write beautifully.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thank you so very much, RR!

Shannon Lawrence said...

Good luck to you and Lynda on your new releases! I definitely agree on the title. I have a hard time, but on the fantasy series I want to do, I've already got two titles that are themed, and they've been much easier to come up with than all the short story titles.

Jemi Fraser said...

I find short stories tough as well. There's not as much to work with. Themes help!

Toi Thomas said...

I like the idea of repetitive words for series titles.
I love the new cover of Cling to God.
Congrats on your new release!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Toi!

Nasreen said...

I like all the titles and love it the way it is similar.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Nas. I'm so happy with the titles, too. :)