Wednesday, February 16, 2022

WEP & Grams

 “Hey, Grams.”

“Good morning, Trav. Isn’t it a gorgeous day?”


Trav moved to the chair beside the bed, trying to ignore the antiseptic smell and the plain room. Grams loved colours and sunshine, not this crap.


He kissed her papery cheek and sat on the chair, keeping his eyes on hers. Her body was shrinking, weakening. But her eyes remained hers. Strong, vibrant. But he could see the pain. The acceptance lurking in the shadows.


He swallowed hard and pulled out his phone. “Which playlist today, Grams?”


“It’s a Beatles kind of day, Trav.”


That made him smile. It was a Beatles kind of day at least four days a week. He hit shuffle, knowing that was the way she liked it best. Always a surprise around the corner, Trav.


Her eyes lit up when Imagine started to play.


Trav set the phone on the blanket and while they listened, he lifted the bag he’d brought her. Another surprise.


“You finished it?”


Grams didn’t even know what he’d been working on, but she was excited. She’d asked him to draw her something, didn’t care what. She’d encouraged his art from the day he picked up his first crayon.


Trav pulled out a sketchbook, light enough for her to hold, large enough for her to see.


The vibrant eyes clouded with tears, but the smile told him everything he needed.


“You drew for me.”


“Not just for you, Gram. Of you.” Because she’d been his person since day one.


He helped her flip to the first page as the playlist shifted to Here Comes the Sun.


Grams laughed. “Perfect timing.” She was a big believer in fate and karma and all that hippy stuff.


The first sketch was Grams dancing in the kitchen, his earliest memory of her.


Happy tears trickled down her cheeks as she brushed her fingers lightly over the page. “Well, she was a bit of a firecracker, wasn’t she?”


Was? No was about it. You’re still the brightest firecracker in the sky.” Her dimples flashed, reminding him she’d once been young. “I bet you had men fighting for a dance with you.”


Her laughter filled the sterile room. And his heart.


She flipped through the pages in time with the music. He’d drawn his favourite memories.


Hotdogs over the campfire.


Picnics at the zoo.


Trips to galleries and museums.


Painting on easels together.


Graduation day. She’d nearly burst with pride over his valedictorian speech.


As she flipped to the final sketch, the playlist clicked to All You Need Is Love. He caught Grams' eye and they both smiled. Trav lifted her hand and kissed it.


“I guess they’re right. All I needed was you. Your love has got me through the very worst of times. You’ve been everything to me and I don’t know how to tell me how much you mean to me.”


Grams laughed and patted his cheek. “You’ve told me every day, Trav. Every day in all the best ways, just like this.” She patted the final sketch, one of the two of them hanging out in their favourite spot. Sitting on the porch swing looking out over the river.


“This is perfect, Trav. I’m so proud of you. This is the best gift ever. Well, until you get me a great-grandchild. I’ll be hanging around until then.”


They both knew that wasn’t true, but he grinned at her, going along with the running joke. “And you’ll be the best Grams to the kid ever.”


Which she would be, because his kids would always know they were loved. They’d always know unconditional love and support. Because Grams had taught him well.


***

Tagline: Lessons from the Beatles and Grams


***


The above is part of the WEP February Challenge All You Need Is Love.


The link is open until Feb 18 - I hope you'll join up. WEP is open to everyone and is a whole lot of fun. Follow the links for the rest of the stories in the challenge. I can't wait to see how everyone interprets this prompt!





64 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am a bit misty after reading this. Thank you.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
Grandmothers play a big role in a kids lives. I know my grandmothers did. I have so many fun memories of them in the treasure trove of my heart. This is a beautiful testimony of a grandmoher's love.
I like your dialogue.
Very well written.
Shalom aleichem

Natalie Aguirre said...

What a sweet story. I really loved it.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Sue! *passes a tissue*

Jemi Fraser said...

Thank you, Pat. Grandparents are amazing!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Natalie!!

cleemckenzie said...

Very touching, Jemi, and perfect for this month's theme!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks so much, C Lee!

N. R. Williams said...

A great romance of the heart between grandmother and grandson. Precious and perfect for the prompt.
Nancy

Olga Godim said...

Sweet and heart-warming and so-o-o sad. It's inevitable that our old people leave us after a while, but the sadness is always there.

L.G. Keltner said...

This is such a beautiful story. Sad and heartwarming at the same time. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Olga. It's so hard when people we love pass

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks so much, Laura!

Denise Covey said...

Love this, Jemi. You go straight to the heart. Perfect ode to the Beatles and Gram.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Bittersweet but very touching.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Bittersweet, yet truly sweet, as well. A lot of heart. I love how you weaved the songs throughout.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Denise! Love those heart hits :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Alex!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Shannon! It was a fun write :)

Nilanjana Bose said...

An fitting ode to the very first love of our lives. Heartwarming!

Debbie D. said...

A beautiful story of a grandmother and her grandson. Sad to think her life is almost over, but the dialogue is sparkling, Jemi. Clever way to add the songs, as well. Loved it! ♥

Kalpana said...

Such a lovely heartwarming story Jemi. And your writing is becoming smoother by the day.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks Nila - everyone needs a Grams in their lives!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Debbie - it was a fun one to write!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks so much, Kalpana! You just made my day!!

Tyrean said...

Oh, you had me from the first line to the last, and I cried. But good tears. Thank you for sharing this beautiful story, Jemi!

Mason Canyon said...

Oh Jemi! I read this yesterday with tears in my eyes and couldn't comment. It's so sweet and even now it touches my heart.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Tyrean! I'm so glad the emotion came through!!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks so much, Mason!! You're words mean a lot to me - thank you :)

DMS said...

Beautiful!
~Jess

Jemima Pett said...

Aw, that's lovely. I'm a bit misty too, to steal from Elephant Child's perfect description. Well done :)

Michelle Wallace said...

A grandmother's love is so special.
This is filled with nostalgia... just beautiful.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks so much, Jemima!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Michelle :)

Pennie Nichols said...

You capture years of a relationship in this single encounter. Lovely. This touches me for personal reasons too. My mom is dying, and took on the 100 day challenge. I'm sketching her every day. I'm not good mind you.

Bernadette said...

So much love in this... 😭

Sally said...

A perfect story of love between generations.

Anstice Brown said...

This is so sweet. I'm very close to my grandparents and you captured this precious relationship perfectly. I like how you incorporated the Beatles songs into this too.

Jemi Fraser said...

Pennie - that is so lovely! You're going to have such wonderful memories from those sketches. *hugs*

Jemi Fraser said...

We all need that one person who always gets us!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Sally - I love those kinds of connections!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Anstice! That relationship between the generations can be so wonderful!

Chrys Fey said...

This is the sweetest thing, and I loved the mentioned of the song "Imagine."

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Chrys - I love that song and its message!

A Hundred Quills said...

This reminded me of my grandmother. How we learn to love from our families...or how we don't. Beautifully done.
-Sonia

Jamie said...

So much emotion and heart! You nailed this one.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Congratulations much love from Trav and so wonderful to see his love for Grams - it makes so much sense that he looks after her to her end, she started his attitude to life and continued as he grew ... lovely to read - thank you ... Hilary

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks Sonia. You're definitely a luck one!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks so much, Jamie!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thank you, Hilary! I wish every child could have that one person always in their corner!

Nas said...

Lovely to read this. Awesome.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks so much, Nas!!

Shilpa Gupte said...

This was such a beautiful story! Reminded me of my grandmother...loved her so much!

Jemi Fraser said...

That's wonderful! There's something special about a connection to a grandparent! *hugs*

Damyanti Biswas said...

Such a lovely sentiment. Well, taught, indeed.

Romance Reader said...

This is such a beautiful story.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks, Damyanti! We all need a Grams in our lives :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks so much RR. I enjoyed my time with Grams and Trav too :)

Lenny Lee said...

Hi Miss Jemi,
A happy/sad story. Happy for love shared and knowing it will be passed on, and sad knowing this bond of love will soon end. Great story and terrific dialog.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks so much, Lenny! I love writing dialog!

J Lenni Dorner said...

Powerful and full of heart! Excellent writing.
Hope you're having a great day! My latest blog post has my theme for the April #AtoZChallenge (I'm writing speculative fiction and looking for prompts).
At Operation Awesome we have the #PassOrPages query contest going on (friends or enemies to lovers Romance).
Looks like I'll be very busy the next few weeks!
March quote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." - Mark Twain

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks J Lenni!
I've always loved that Twain quote!
You have a busy time coming up - all the best!

Yolanda Renée said...

Tears, tears, and more tears! Loved it!

Thank you!

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks so much, Renée!