Wednesday, January 4, 2023

IWSG & Words

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. He, his clones, minions, friends, and fellow authors make it an amazing event every month.


IWSG badge

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!    

January 4 question - Do you have a word of the year? Is there one word that sums up what you need to work on or change in the coming year? For instance, in 2021 my word of the year was Finish. I was determined to finish my first draft by the end of the year. In 2022, my word of the year was Ease. I want to get my process, systems, finances, and routines where life flows with ease and less chaos. What is your word for 2023? 

Love this question!

2020 was the first year I chose a word. I decided I would take the big step and start publishing my books. My word that year was RISK.

In 2021, I chose FORWARD. In 2022, I kept the same word, FORWARD.

Since 2020, I've been living outside my comfort zone. Putting books out in the world is terrifying!!! For 2023, I want to keep stepping forward, keep risking, keep trying new things. I've signed up for one course with that in mind.

But, I also want to keep sinking into Me. For the first few years of this writing gig, I assumed that my way was wrong because it seemed like everyone else was doing it differently. (Everything from ideas to drafting to revising to genre to publishing to marketing). I'm learning to believe the advice I've given my students over the years: Follow your gut, listen to your heart, keep your mind open.

So for 2023, I think I'll choose BRAVE.

I want to be brave enough to follow my own path. Brave enough to learn and to try new things. Brave enough to reach out for opportunities. Brave enough to say No when things aren't right for me or when my plate is already overflowing.

How about you? What new things are you wanting to try this year? Is saying No difficult for you as well? Are you going to be brave with me?

30 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You have to follow your own path and your instincts. None of our journeys are the same.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Glad you're following the advice you gave your students. We all have to follow our own paths. Hope you find yours in 2023.

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

"Brave" is an awesome word for the year :-) Happy 2023!

Ronel visiting for IWSG day An Author’s Goals for 2023

Rachna Chhabria said...

Your word Brave is super. It matches mine Conquer. Happy New Year.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Brave is a good word. And sometimes we have to be brave enough to say no.

Nancy Gideon said...

Great word! Just like the Disney movie, hold your sword high and defend your right to create.

Jemi Fraser said...

Alex - that's so true. Following our own paths also brings us the most joy

Natalie - thank you!!

Ronel - thanks!

Rachna - we are definitely thinking along the same lines :)

Diane - No is a tough word for me. Working on it!

Nancy - love it! Going to pull out that sword more often!

emaginette said...

Whether we know it or not, all writers are brave. Putting words down for readers takes guts.

A great word; hopefully, a great year.

Anna from elements of emaginette

kimlajevardi.com said...

Brave is a fantastic way to march forward!

Tyrean Martinson said...

I commit to being Brave with you! Saying no is tough. Courage is one of my words (I couldn't choose just one) and it's definitely a challenge I am attempting to take on this year.

Elephant's Child said...

I am so glad that you took your courage in both hands and stepped forward. And even gladder that it has been working for you.
And yes, NO is a very hard word indeed.

Chrys Fey said...

Oh, Brave. That's a powerful one. I see that mantra for you, and I see you being very brave. <3

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

You've given good advice to your students, and are smart to take it yourself! I like your word, and your thoughts about it.

M.J. Fifield said...

Brave is an awesome word to choose.

I have a very hard time saying no. Maybe 'no' should be my word for 2023... :)

cleemckenzie said...

Yay for choosing "brave." It's a perfect word for a writer.

Stephen Tremp said...

Yes Jemi! Be brave. Get outside those comfort zones and prosper in 2023 you deserve it

Jemi Fraser said...

Anna - I agree! Everything about the writing/publishing journey requires bravery!

Kim - thanks! It should be fun :)

Tyrean - YAY - it's easier when there are others moving in the same direction. I loved your phrase for the year!

Sue - thanks so much, Sue. No is a challenge for me!

Chrys - thank you - hope I can pull it off!

Rebecca - thanks - it's hard to take our own advice sometimes :)

MJ - that would be a great word - it's such a tough one sometimes!

Lee - agreed! We have so many times we need to be brave

Stephen - thank you!!

Diane Burton said...

I'm glad you discovered that what works for some people doesn't always work for you. Follow your gut is great advice. Hang in there.

Denise Covey said...

Jemi, your words have stood you in good stead. You wouldn't think you were terrified of putting those books out there, but your words have done you proud! Happy New Year!

Olga Godim said...

A lovely word. I want to be brave too, "brave enough to follow my own path." That is not as easy as it sounds.

Michelle Wallace said...

"Follow your gut, listen to your heart, keep your mind open." THIS.
I often ask myself, what on earth am I doing? My gut tells me something BUT the path doesn't seem 'correct.'
However, there is no specific pathway... every writer has a unique journey.
I really need to keep this uppermost in my mind.
Thanks for this message, Jemi.
Happy New Year to you and your family!
All the best for 2023!

A Hundred Quills said...

Wow Jemi, I can't believe you got all those books out in just three years. Kudos. You've inspired me to take RISK.
Sonia

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

"Brave" is a great word! And one I think you've already demonstrated describes you. :) Happy New Year!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I love your word for the year. Brave. I might join you in that too.

Patricia JL said...

Brave is an excellent word.

Charlotte (MotherOwl) said...

Be brave enough to be yourself. Brilliant word and explanation!

Jemi Fraser said...

Diane - our guts tend to be smarter than our brains ... or maybe that's just me :)

Denise - Thanks so much!! It's sheer terror every single time!

Olga - it's definitely not always easy!

Michelle - our journeys are all unique! Finding was doesn't work for us is probably more important than finding what does!

Sonia - thanks! I stockpiled a bunch before I hit Publish that first time :) Risk was the best word for me then - hope it helps you blossom!

Elizabeth - you totally made my day!!

Lynda - sounds like a good plan!

Patty - I hope so!

Charlotte - finding our own way is pretty powerful stuff!

J.Q. Rose said...

Brave. Love that. Yes, we do need to listen to our hearts and pay attention to that gut instinct. Great advice. I'm with you, GRRL.

mshatch said...

I did something scary and expensive: I sent off my favorite manuscript for a professional editing assessment. Yikes! You are very brave, imo, to self-publish. I think about it, but boy does it seem like a lot of work!

Happy New Year :)

Jemi Fraser said...

JQ - It's going to be a great year!

Marcy - Yay - good for you! It's all scary and it does take some work, but a lot of that work is "one time setup" kind of stuff. Uploading to the retailers isn't bad - most of them are pretty easy. Any time you want to chat about it, let me know!