Wednesday, September 6, 2023

IWSG 12 Year Celebration!

 The Insecure Writer's Support Group is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. He, his clones, minions, friends, and fellow authors make it an amazing event every month.


IWSG badge

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!  

***

September Question: The IWSG celebrates 12 years today! When did you discover the IWSG, how do you connect, and how has it helped you?

Happy Anniversary IWSG!!!

12 years - almost a teenager!

I remember when IWSG first started. I didn't join right away because life was overwhelming at that point. I also didn't feel like a "real" author yet and Imposter Syndrome was all-consuming. I still deal with Imposter Syndrome daily, but I manage to shove it to the side and get words written and published anyway.

For years, I read and responded to tons of IWSG blog posts, but I didn't post my first post until July 2016. That seems like such a long time ago now!

I wrote my first short story in response to the IWSG Anthology prompt of a ticking clock. I'd never written a short story before but an idea I loved popped into my head and it was selected for the anthology.

Having Until Release accepted and published was the boost I needed to start finding my way through Imposter Syndrome. If that hadn't happened, I'm not sure I would have ever had the confidence to publish.

Now, here we are in 2023 and I've published a nonfiction book on Dementia, 10 Bloo Moose Romances, 4 Small Town Heroes Romances (#5 Built Of Illusions releases on Sept 19!!) and I'm halfway through drafting the stories for my next series.

I'm so grateful to Alex for creating the IWSG and to the many (MANY!) friends I've discovered through the blogs. Not only is Alex a terrific author, he's a genuinely kind and generous human being!

So Happy Bloggiversary to Alex and the IWSG! Thanks for everything you do!!

How about you? Has the IWSG given you a much needed boost?

23 comments:

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,

The IWSG has been not only a door opened with the anthology but has helped you in many other ways.
All the best and keep writing.
Shalom shalom

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm glad that anthology gave you the push needed. Now look at all the books you've written and published!

A Hundred Quills said...

Hi Jemi! The IWSG has been terrific, isn't it? Look at your published books! You're inspiring.
-Sonia

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Fifteen books now - that is quite amazing.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Congrats to both the IWSG and to you for doing so well!

M.J. Fifield said...

I'm glad the IWSG helped you out so much. I no longer participate but I met so many fantastic writer friends through the bloghop.

As always, I'm in AWE of how much you've accomplished with your writing! You're amazing!!

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's cool that you've been with the group since it began. I found out about the IWSG a little later. Like you, I just read the posts and commented for a long time before I joined--sometime before 2014. It's helped me a lot as a writer and supported me through my life challenges since I lost my husband.

cleemckenzie said...

I remember when you published your firs book, and now look at all you've accomplished! Wowzer, Jemi

Patricia JL said...

This group has been awesome for so many of us. =)

Tyrean Martinson said...

You have always been a real author. :)
Happy IWSG day and Happy Writing!

Michelle Wallace said...

I remember your ticking clock story... I loved it!
The IWSG has such a wonderful sense of community, which is hard to find in online groups.
I'm so glad we connected via the IWSG, Jemi.
Happy IWSG Anniversary Day!

Elephant's Child said...

A huge hooray to ISWG for giving you the encouragement you 'thought' you needed. And another huge hooray for your persistence and dedication.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Wow! You've written so much over the last few years. Keep it going!

Sarah Foster said...

That's amazing that you've published so many books in that amount of time!

Olga Godim said...

It is so wonderful that you started your fiction writing and publishing journey with an IWSG anthology. And you have done so much more since then.

Yvonne Osborne said...

You've done great with your writing. You'v been very prolific since 2009, about the time I started blogging too. Sometimes I still feel like an imposter

J Lenni Dorner said...

I'm so glad it resulted in your books. Funny how it's easier to believe validation from strangers about our writing.

The IWSG is celebrating 12 years today, which is so amazing for a blogging community of writers. A dozen years of support! 🎉
"The only thing you absolutely have to know is the location of the library." – Albert Einstein quote
September is library card sign-up month! Get one, use one, and be grateful such places exist.

J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Speculative Fiction &Reference Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks everyone! It's great to see how much everyone loves the IWSG!

Denise Covey said...

You have a lot to thank the IWSG for, Jemi. So glad it set you on your publishing path. Imposter Syndrome? I'm sure nearly every writer has it! Our Imaginary Friend.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

You have come such a long way. I actually use your success as my inspiration to keep going.

Jemi Fraser said...

Lynda - you made me all teary-eyed!!!

Nick Wilford said...

You've come a long way over 12 years! Having a group as supportive as this is definitely a massive boost.

chickangell said...

I've been grateful for this community. I quietly stalked it for years while focusing on building other writing goals but when my writing world fell apart in 2018/2019 and I went through really bad burnout, this group was a part of me gently and quietly coming back from burnout and embracing writing as a hobby and an artform, not just about the fame and fortune (not that I every wanted fame and fortune, but I fought hard to make a decent income and it burned me out bad.) Still slowly coming back and so grateful to this community. www.heidiangell.com