Wednesday, December 6, 2023

IWSG & Reviews

 The Insecure Writer's Support Group is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. He, his clones, minions, friends, and fellow authors make it an amazing event every month.


IWSG badge

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!  

***

December 6 question: Book reviews are for the readers. When you leave a book reviews do you review for the Reader or the Author? Is it about what you liked and enjoyed about your reading experience, or do you critique the author?

Before I became an author, I never reviewed a book (or anything else). I had no idea how important those reviews could be.

Now, I always review books I enjoy. Life is short, and if I'm not enjoying a book, I don't finish it, and don't see any point in reviewing. Just because I didn't enjoy a book, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it - it's just not for me.

I leave reviews for the author first, but also for the reader. I talk about the things I enjoyed in the book, hoping that those reviews will help both the author and new readers.

How about you? Do you leave reviews? Do you read reviews to help you decide what to read?

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If I don't finish I don't review either.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Come to think of it, I never reviewed books before becoming an author either.

Jan Morrison said...

I review books on Goodreads but it is more or less for myself - so I have a journal of the years reads. I only review books I like and I I hate the star system so give everyone five stars! Or no stars. I always give stars to first time or obscure writers. I don't read reviews.

M.J. Fifield said...

I don't read reviews people write for my stories—for reasons that have nothing to do with being afraid that someone didn't like what I wrote. As a reader, I do read reviews but generally not until after I've finished a book. I'm always curious what other people thought.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I don't finish books I don't enjoy either. I try to write short reviews to support authors I enjoy and for readers when I have time.

Tyrean Martinson said...

If I don't finish, I don't review. If I don't enjoy, I usually don't review (exception listed on my post today). I like leaving positivity and encouragement around, and if I can't do that, I try not to review.

Patricia JL said...

I don't leave reviews as much as I probably should, but I'm not exactly a stellar review writer. I tend to fan girl unapologetically. LOL

Olga Godim said...

I review for myself, to keep track of what I read and how I felt about it. Of course, if I don't finish a book because I dislike it, I rarely review it. Only if I read more than half and want to explain why I stopped.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I so agree with your answers. I also never wrote reviews before I became a writer. Have a lovely holiday.

Yvonne Osborne said...

I have left reviews on Goodreads, but only if I've liked a book and then I'm doing it as much for the reader as the author. If I'm familiar with an author I don't bother with reviews but if I'm not I might look at them.

Jemi Fraser said...

Alex - agreed

Diane - I never thought of it!

Jan - I do pretty much the same thing!

MJ - I don't read my own review either - no thanks!!! My skin will never be thick enough.

Natalie - that's my plan too!

Tyrean - I agree with your exception you posted on the blog. I have the same attitude :)

Patty - LOL - I could be accused of the same :)

Olga - I like keeping track as well

Susan - I hope your holiday is wonderful too!!

Yvonne - I generally don't read reviews either :)