Wednesday, February 7, 2024

IWSG & Bloo Moose Nooz

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. He, his clones, minions, friends, and fellow authors make it an amazing event every month.


IWSG badge

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!  

***

February 7 question: What turns you off when visiting an author's website/blog? Lack of information? A drone of negativity? Little mention of author's books? Constant mention of books?

For me, blogs and websites are different and have different purposes.

I'm a pretty straight-forward person and like websites to be straight-forward as well. A clear menu is a must. I don't think most of us need a lot of fussy things - mostly we need: links to the series, links to the books, links to social media, and an easy way to sign up for the author's newsletter.

If it's too difficult to figure out where things are, I give up.

One of my pet peeves when visiting author blogs is the lack of the person's name near the top of the blog. I've visited far too many where the author NEVER says their name. If the Blog title doesn't have your name in it, please put your name somewhere at the top!

***

Bloo Moose Nooz

I started publishing the Bloo Moose series in 2020. I've learned a lot about covers and series since then. My cover designer and I decided it was time for a bit of a refresh of the Bloo Moose covers.

We wanted to make them more visually alike so they are obviously part of a series. And we wanted the "Reaching For" to be more visible. We've added the series number on the cover as well. Some of the cover art remains the same and some are zoomed in to keep in with the balanced look for the series.

The two different covers are for Trust and Roots. At the time, we couldn't find a good pic of Jack & Trina, so we used the legs. Ryan and Emmy also get a refresh with a photo that's more in line with the series.

What do you think? I think she's done a great job and I'm thrilled with the refresh!



The No Fail Heroes series will be out soon, but after that, it will be back to Bloo Moose for some more fun!


17 comments:

Yvonne Osborne said...

Good advice Jemi!!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Great redo on the covers. They are obviously a series.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
I agree, good advice. I need to check and see if my name is on all my blogs.
Have a lovely month.
Shalom shalom

Nick Wilford said...

The covers look great! They all go together so well.

M.J. Fifield said...

I just had a moment where I went, "Huh. Is my name on my website anywhere?" and then I had to go check. Pleased to report that it is! (and also laughing at the fact that I had no idea what the site looks like...)

Love the new covers! They look great. I'm glad you're thrilled with the refresh!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Your covers are awesome and clearly go together. I see blogs that don't identify the blog host and don't like it either.

Carol Kilgore said...

Great job on those covers! Your name, title, and series name all stand out. Anc the images fit with each other. All my online sites have the same banner across the top. However, my actual website doesn't get much attention. I have a disclaimer near the top. I simply don't have enough time to deal with it. And my blog is still officially named Under the Tiki Hut, even though I don't talk about that much anymore. Maybe I should. Maybe I have a blog topic for March, LOL :)

Meka James said...

I agree, blogs and websites serve different purposes for sure, though I think both should have the same basic info like book links and things like that.

Like the cover updates.

Yolanda Renée said...

Great new covers! They all look fabulous!
Name on the blog got it! LOL

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks Yvonne!

Susan - thanks - they make me smile every time I see them!

Pat - I'm sure you name is there, Pat!

Nick - Thanks - it's a more series cohesive now!

MJ - LOL - I've checked my own more than once!

Natalie - thank you - I'm so happy with them!

Carol - thank you! There you go - we always need those topics for blogging!

Meka - totally agree!

Renée - thank you - and I'm sure you have that covered :)

cleemckenzie said...

Good point. A name is so important. It should be right at the top.

Olga Godim said...

Re: blog and websites structure. I agree with you 100%.
I like the covers in the collage. They definitely look like parts of the same series.

Patricia JL said...

The new covers look pretty.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Covers look great!
I find that some writers don't have their name listed anywhere, which is weird.
And sorry so late!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I think your cover designer did a great job.

Joanna said...

Great :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Lee - agreed!

Olga - thanks - it's a much more cohesive look now :)

Thanks, Patty

Thanks Alex - I think it's bizarre too - but easy to overlook :)

Diane - thank you!

Joanna - thanks :)